I turned 31 on Sunday and when I was thinking about my birthday, the thing that kept coming back to my mind is just how much I’ve done in my 31 years. I don’t mean “done” in terms of achievement, either. I mean just interesting, different, sometimes weird and cool things that I’ve done.
One of the best compliments I’ve ever gotten was many years ago from a friend when she said,
“You know, most people talk about doing things like that, but you actually do them.”
Make no mistake, I’m certainly not fearless but I’ve got a lot of nerve. And being scared of the outcome, of failure, or of what other people will think of me has never stopped me from trying something new anyway.
So to celebrate and observe my 31st birthday this week, here is a list of 31 interesting things I’ve done in my 31 years.
- Run a full marathon – 26.2 miles
- Started a women’s ministry at the University of Tennessee
- Went cage diving with 15 foot sharks in Hawaii
- Traveled to Europe
- Rowed on a collegiate crew team at the University of Central Florida
- Had my first television interview
- Lived on a 40-acre farm (and then a 70-acre farm) with horses, fainting goats, a mini donkey, barn cats and of course, Jackson
- Played on a soccer team for two years with all Guatemalan men that did not speak English
- Paid off all of my debt
- Ran through fire in the Warrior Dash
- Became certified as a professional life and business coach
- Gave my life to Christ at Sharp Top Cove, a Young Life Camp when I was 15 years old
- Drove 11 hours to Oklahoma with my aunt to buy an awesome Bernese Mountain Dog puppy: Jackson
- Went on a mission trip to the Dominican Republic
- Convinced Dave Ramsey and the leadership team to let me speak for the company before the speaker’s group ever existed (and when I’d never spoken a day in my life)
- Served as a Young Life Leader for 10 years to awesome girls
- Took the Donelson YMCA Aquatic Department from a very tough year to being the top rated center in Middle Tennessee in safety and revenues
- Competed in an Olympic Distance Triathlon
- Started a side-business (actually two: horse boarding business and years later, a life coaching business)
- Competed in a Latin & Ballroom Dance Competition
- Went Scuba Diving in Hawaii
- Kayaked with manatees
- Got my handgun carry permit (and a gun)
- Learned how to speak conversational Spanish (See #8)
- Got baptized in the Dominican Republic
- Went Hang-gliding
- Bought a house
- Led someone to Christ
- Lived on an island in British Columbia, Canada for a month
- Spoke to audiences of 2,000 people
- Married the love of my life
What’s your list?
I encourage you to make one (even if it’s not your birthday) to remember and celebrate all of the interesting, different, sometimes weird and cool things you’ve done!
“Anything’s possible if you’ve got enough nerve.” – J.K. Rowling